Masks Help People Understand – level 1
Many people have problems with hearing. Some people are deaf. It means that they cannot hear. However, they need to communicate with others. These people often lipread. They watch other people’s lips. It helps them understand.
Now, people must wear masks. The reason is the coronavirus. People cover their faces. It is a big problem for deaf people. They do not see people’s lips.
Some people do not feel good. They need to see other people’s faces. It is important to see their faces. We can see if people smile or not. Masks make communication difficult.
A team of fashion designers have a clever idea. They make a mask with a window. The mask covers the mouth. However, people can see each other’s lips.
Difficult words: hearing (when you hear noises through your ears), communicate/communication (to talk or make movements to tell someone something; when you talk or make movements to tell someone something), lipread (to watch somebody’s lips to be able to understand what he is saying), cover (when you place something over a thing, and other people cannot see the thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.