Math Stops a Marriage – level 2
A girl in India wants to meet her potential husband for the first time. People show her a photo of him and then she goes to meet him at his home.
When she gets there, she is suspicious because he does not look like the boy in the photo. She asks him a math question of 15 plus 6. He answers incorrectly with 17. She refuses to marry him.
Her family says that he tricked them, while his family says that she should come back. A friend explains that education is important to the girl. The local police have to mediate for the families.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What would you do if you were this girl?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.