McDonald´s Pays Missed Wages – level 1
In 2003, a new law about holiday pay starts in New Zealand. Many companies do not understand the law well. They start to pay people the wrong money for the time when they are not at work.
The company McDonald´s has a big problem. For ten years, it counts the wages wrong. New Zealand´s unions say, that 60,000 people get less money. McDonald´s agrees to pay more than $28 million to its employees. About 40,000 employes can get the money back.
The New Zealand government must check around 150 companies and change the law.
Difficult words: law (the system of rules of a country), wages (the money which people get for their work), unions (a group of workers who work to protect all workers of a company), employee (a person who works for a company).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.