McDonald’s Pays Missed Wages – level 2
In 2003, New Zealand’s government made a new law about holiday pay. Many companies did not understand it well, and they started to calculate their employees’s holiday pay incorrectly.
New Zealand’s unions want the company McDonald’s to pay its employees more than $28 milion dollars‘ worth of missed wages.
McDonald’s spokesman said that, in the last ten years, the company incorrectly calculated the wages of about 40,000 people, and it agreed to pay the missed money back.
Currently, the unions are solving the same problem with companies Burger King and Armourgard.
The New Zealand government must audit around 150 companies and make some changes in the law.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.