Measles Emergency Ends – level 1
The government in Samoa ends the state of emergency. It starts in November last year. At that time, very many people become ill with measles. It is an infectious sickness. It is dangerous for children.
During the emergency, young people cannot go to schools. All people need the vaccination.
In 2013, 90% of babies in Samoa get the vaccination. However, after some problems, the situation changes. In 2018, two children die. They get a bad vaccine. After this, people are scared. They do not want the vaccination.
Last year, 5,600 people become sick from measles. 81 people die.
Difficult words: state of emergency (a serious situation when a government needs extra help), infectious (a sickness that one person can pass very easily on another person), vaccination (an act when a doctor gives somebody an injection that keeps the person healthy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.