Meat from Fruit – level 3
Some of the common plant-based meats are made from pea or soy proteins; however, plant-based meat can also be made from jackfruit. Jackfruit is a huge spiky fruit that has many small bulbs with yellow flesh inside the shell.
When jackfruit is ripe, it tastes sweet; however, when it is unripe, it has no particular flavor. Its texture is quite similar to the consistency of real meat, and this makes jackfruit perfect for plant-based meat dishes like barbecued pulled pork.
In October, Thailand celebrated the 9-day vegetarian festival when many people give up eating animal products, and more people are going meatless for longer and more frequently. There has been a big increase in interest for vegetarian and vegan food over recent years, and Thai food producers are expecting future expansion of plant-based meat products.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.