Men try the pain of giving birth – level 2
Being a parent isn’t always easy, especially when it comes to giving birth. A hospital in China offers taster sessions for men who are soon going to be fathers. The fathers have the opportunity to feel what it is like for the women to give birth.
A nurse places special pads on a man’s belly. These pads carry electric shocks which create a feeling that is similar to giving birth. The session starts with weak shocks, but then the nurse makes them stronger, and the man begins to writhe in pain.
One man said that it was really painful. He said it felt like his heart and lungs were being pulled apart.
Difficult words: taster session (where you get to see what an electric shock feels like), pad (a thick piece of soft material), writhe (to make twisting movements of the body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you try this? :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos