Meteorite filmed by a skydiver – level 3
A skydiver in Norway released footage he filmed back in 2012 of what he believes to be a meteorite. Anders Helstrup has spent the past two years trying to find out what the mysterious black object was that sped past him that day.
The footage shows what looks like a large rock hurtling by at high speed, as he was skydiving over Hedmark in southern Norway. He insists that there was nothing above him at the time and believes that it was a meteorite, despite criticism from scientists.
Most meteorites burn when they enter Earth’s atmosphere but some survive and are extinguished only 20 kilometres above Earth. Together with Norway’s Space and Meteorite Centre, Anders is trying to piece together where the UFO might have landed.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the likelihood of a meteorite surviving and being extinguished 20 kilometres above Earth?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.