Methane and the world’s temperature – level 2
Methane is an invisible gas which has no smell. Scientists discovered that methane had much more warming power than carbon dioxide, another gas. Methane caused about 25% of the increase in the global temperature.
People can avoid about 30% of the warming, which scientists expect in the next decades, but they won’t need to make any big changes. The reason is that oil and gas fields spill methane into the air, and sometimes they do not even know about it.
Scientists and so-called methane hunters go around the oil fields, and they find gas leaks. They use a special camera that can see the methane leaking out of pipes and tools which control the flow in the pipes. This is very important because people finally started to see methane as a problem, and they can do something about it.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.