Methane and the world´s temperature – level 3
Although carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels is the main cause of global warming, methane has many times of carbon dioxide´s warming power. Scientists estimate that 25% of the increase in global temperature comes from methane.
Almost one third of the warming expected in the next few decades can be avoided by reducing emissions of the odorless and invisible gas without actually having to invent new technology or cut consumption. Oil and gas fields are the most obvious places to start, with frackers in the biggest oil fields in the US letting massive amounts of natural gas spill into the atmosphere.
Scientists and activists are trying to find leaks in the oil and gas supply chain. They go around the oil fields with powerful cameras that can see the methane leaking out of pipes and devices, and people finally realize the problem with methane leaks.
Difficult words: odorless (without a smell), fracker (the person gets oil or gas from a rock or the ground by making large cracks in it), valve (a device that controls the movement of fluid through a pipe).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.