Microsoft loses many jobs – level 2
Last week, several media reports said that the US tech company Microsoft planned to cut thousands of jobs. Recently, Amazon and Meta announced job cuts because of the worsening economic situation.
Microsoft will probably cut about 11,000 people, which is five percent of all its employees. The job cuts will be in engineering and human resources departments.
The lower demand for personal computers led to lower results for Microsoft. Experts expect more job cuts in the tech sector.
Difficult words: human resources (the department of a company that hires and trains new employees), demand (when many people want to buy something), tech sector (companies which sell computers, electronics, and software).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.