Million Mask March in London – level 3
Capitalism, inequality, state intervention – all the reasons for this anti-capitalist Million Mask March. The protesters are in central London to highlight the things they believe are ruining our society.
Campaigners of all ages chanted in small groups under the watch of Metropolitan Police officers. Earlier the police warned the march could become violent and this evening they kept a watchful eye on the protesters. Ten people were arrested at the same event last year. Some are concerned the demonstrators will damage the city and cause disruption.
This year, the police say the protest must finish by 9 p.m. In reality, it’s likely to be much later.
Difficult words: intervention (the action of intervening – taking part in something to change it), highlight (to draw attention to), chant (to sing or say something together).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.