Minecraft Lenin – level 3
In the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, a new 2-metre-tall cardboard statue of Lenin is causing controversy. The video game Minecraft inspired the statue.
The portrayal of the most famous Bolshevik caused outrage from local communists, who have labelled the statue as blasphemy and have called for its destruction.
Aleksander Zakirov, the creator of the Minecraft Lenin, said that the call for the destruction of the statue and his punishment was a shocking reaction, which he was not expecting. He would not have ever thought that politicians would care about an art object so much, adding that the statue is just a cardboard monument, not a real one, which will anyhow be dismantled before winter.
Difficult words: Bolshevik (a member of the party which seized power in Russia in 1917), outrage (a reaction of anger and shock), blasphemy (something which is very disrespectful to someone or something), dismantle (take apart).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.