Mississippi shooting – level 1
On Friday, a man kills six people in Akabutla, United States.
Akabutla is a small town. Fewer than 300 people live there. Violence does not happen often there. The man kills his ex-wife and five other people. He kills them at three different places, a petrol station, and two homes. Officers arrest a 52-year-old man. They do not know why the man kills the people.
This is the 73rd mass shooting in the US since the year starts. US President Joe Biden says that it is an epidemic in the country. He says that politicians must change gun laws and stop gun violence.
Difficult words: mass shooting (when someone kills at least four people with a gun at one time), epidemic (when something happens a lot, and it affects many people), gun violence (when someone hurts others with a gun).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the US president's name?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.