Mississippi shooting – level 2
On Friday, a man with three guns killed six people in the small town of Akabutla, United States.
The man killed his ex-wife and five other people in three different places. One of the places was a petrol station, where a young man wanted to stop the man, but then he decided to wait for the police. Officers arrested a 52-year-old man whose motive was not clear. The sheriff said that fewer than 300 people lived in the town, and there was not much violence for more than 20 years.
The incident was the 73rd mass shooting since the year started. US President Joe Biden said that he and his wife were very sad. Once again, he urged lawmakers to change gun laws in the United States.
Difficult words: motive (why someone does something), violence (when someone does something to hurt other people), urge (to push someone to do something what you find important).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the US President's opinion on gun laws in the country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos