Moldova crisis – level 1
Moldova is a small country between Romania and Ukraine. 2.5 million people live in Moldova.
Maia Sandu becomes president of Moldova in 2020. She wants Moldova to become part of the European Union. Russia gets angry. Moldova belongs to the Soviet Union in the past. Most people can speak Russian. Some people have families in Russia. Some reports say that people in Moldova support Russia in the war with Ukraine.
Since the war starts in February last year, Moldova has many problems. People protest. There are bomb hoaxes and a lot of misinformation. Some people believe that Russia wants to start a war in Moldova, too.
Difficult words: support (to help), bomb hoax (when someone says that a bomb is somewhere, but it is not true), misinformation (wrong information which someone says, because he wants to trick people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the possible consequences of Maia Sandu's policy for Moldova?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.