Moomin Café in Tokyo – level 2
The Moomin series, created by a Finnish illustrator, has a large fan base in Japan. There’s even a Moomin café in Tokyo. It opened in 2003.
When a customer comes in, a staff member takes a Moomin character and puts it at the customer’s table. You know, to keep him or her company.
Sometimes, staff move the characters from one customer to another because the café has only seven Moomin characters. The Moomin fans are not the only ones who like the café. Everybody enjoys the special experience.
Difficult words: staff member (person who works somewhere), character (person in a book, play or film), to keep somebody company (to be with somebody), fan (person who really likes something or someone).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the Moomins?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.