Morales Cannot Get to Senate – level 1
In 2006, Evo Morales becomes the president of Bolivia. He is the president for 13 years. In 2019, many people get angry. They want a new president. Morales must end his job.
He does not feel safe in Bolivia. He runs away to Argentina. Bolivian officials want to put Morales in prison. They say that he manipulates people. They believe that he is a terrorist.
Morales wants to get to Bolivia’s senate. The senate is a part of the government. Officials say that it is not possible. Morales does not live in Bolivia. He cannot be a politician in Bolivia.
Morales is angry. He says that it is against democracy.
Difficult words: manipulate (to control somebody or something, often unfairly), terrorist (a person who hurts other people, usually because he does not like their political ideas), democracy (when all people in a country have rights to do say many things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.