Morales Cannot Get to Senate – level 2
Evo Morales was the president of Bolivia, and he wants to get to Bolivia’s senate. However, authorities said that he cannot be in the election because he is not Bolivia’s resident.
In November last year, Morales ran away to Argentina, which gave him asylum. One month before, he won the elections, and he became the president of Bolivia. He was the president three times before. Some politicians said that Morales influenced the vote. Authorities said that Morales talked to people, and he wanted them to act against the government. This was a crime, and Bolivian authorities want to arrest Morales.
Morales is angry that he cannot get to Bolivia’s senate. He said that it is against democracy.
Difficult words: resident (a person who lives somewhere), asylum (when a country protects someone who runs away from their country because he or she did not feel safe there), influence (to try to change the result of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.