More Protests in Hong Kong – level 1
Thousands of people protest in Hong Kong. This is on New Year’s Day. Hong Kong officials authorize the protest. However there are some problems with protesters. They cancel the protest.
Officials say that some protesters become violent. However, the organizers of the protest say that this is not true.
The protests start six months ago. They are about a new law about prisoners. People do not agree with the law. They protest against it. They want to change many things in Hong Kong. One thing is the law to vote.
Officials from many countries write a letter to the Hong Kong leader. They ask her to change the situation in the country. However, Hong Kong officials say that they must stop the protests first.
Difficult words: authorize (to make something possible), violent (very strong and powerful), law (the system of rules in a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos