Moroccan people want to get to Europe – level 1
Ceuta is a Spanish enclave in Morocco. An enclave is an area where people live. Spanish people live there. Many Moroccan people want to go to Ceuta. They want to get to Europe. They believe that they can live better lives in Europe.
8,000 people get to Ceuta last week. Many people are very young. They swim in the sea. It is very dangerous.
They get to the Spanish coast. Police wait there. Police stop the people. They return half of the people to Morocco. Many people are still in Ceuta.
Spanish officials criticize the Moroccan government. Morocco does not stop Moroccan people on its border. Morocco does not care about the EU rules.
Difficult words: return (to take back), criticize (to say that someone or something is not good and say why), border (the line in a map between two countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos