Moroccan people want to get to Europe – level 2
Last week, almost 8,000 Moroccan people got into Spain’s enclave of Ceuta.
These people did not want to live in Morocco, and they thought that they could live better lives in Spain. More than 25% of the migrants were people younger than 18 years. They swam to Ceuta which was very dangerous because the waves were big.
Problems started near Morocco’s border when police tried to stop the migrants. Spanish authorities said that they returned more than half of the migrants, but many people stayed in Ceuta. Spanish officials said that the Moroccan government did not check the border and that Morocco did not respect the EU rules.
Difficult words: enclave (an area inside a country where live people with a different language or culture), migrant (a person who leaves his own country because he cannot find work there or his country is dangerous), respect (to care about someone or something important).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.