Most Powerful Women in the World – level 2
Forbes is an American business magazine. In 2004, it started to make a list of the most powerful women in the world.
The most powerful woman in the world is the German Chancellor Angela Merkel. This is her fifth year as Forbes’s most powerful woman. Hot on Merkel’s heels was Hillary Clinton, who came in second. Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg is the youngest member of the top 10. She is 45.
The Forbes top 100 list features women from eight different categories. Oprah Winfrey is the richest woman – she has almost 2 billion pounds. Singer Beyonce led in the entertainment field.
Difficult words: chancellor (the head of the government in some countries), hot on someone’s heels (to be right behind), feature (to have/show).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this list?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.