Mosul Mosque – level 2
The Grand Mosque is located in the Iraqi city of Mosul, near the Tigris River. In the past, its name was Saddam Mosque, after the former Iraqi president.
Workers started to build the mosque in the mid-nineties, during the Saddam Hussein regime. However, the work had to stop because of difficult political situations in the country. Officials announced that the work would start again in 2013. However, another problem came when the terrorist group ISIS used the building as a factory, and also, ISIS soldiers shot at people from its towers.
Luckily, ISIS did not destroy the mosque, and when Iraqi forces got control over Mosul in 2017, building work could start again. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) offered a 50-million-dollar grant to support the work if the name of the mosque changes the name after the UAE leader.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.