Mother Whale Helps Baby – Level 3
In Australia, a shark net tangled around a 4-metre-long humpback whale calf’s tail. Luckily, its mother stayed with it, propping it up at the top of the water, until people from the Sea World Marine Park arrived to help.
The mother refused to leave and patiently waited as they cut the calf free.
This incident has reignited the debate about shark nets in this area of the world. New South Wales uses shark nets despite recommendations against them from its own departments and scientists; this is because of recent shark bites in New South Wales.
In 2014–2015, people say that shark nets caught 189 sea animals, including 44 target sharks, and 116 animals died before release.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.