Mount Sinabung on Sumatra – level 1
Mount Sinabung is a volcano. It is on Sumatra. It is dormant for 400 years. In 2010, it erupts. It kills twenty-five people between 2010 and 2018.
This week, the volcano erupts again. Big clouds of ash go up into the sky. Nobody dies, and nobody is injured.
Difficult words: dormant (‘asleep’), erupt (send out lava and ash), ash (dust; a very soft grey thing produced from things on fire).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos