Mugabe’s birthday party – level 2
Zimbabwe, a country in the south of Africa, won its independence from Britain in 1980. Since then, Robert Mugabe has been the country’s leader.
Mugabe recently celebrated his 92nd birthday at a party, which cost nearly 1 million dollars. Some people criticised the party for being too luxurious and said that it was an insult to the poor. There was even a 92-kilogram birthday cake.
Right now, there is a drought in Zimbabwe, and three million people don’t have enough food because of bad conditions.
Tens of thousands of people came to the country’s capital to celebrate. In his birthday speech, the president blamed Zimbabwe’s economic problems on Western countries.
Difficult words: independence (freedom), insult (to say something disrespectful), drought (when the weather is very dry and it does not rain), blame (to say that something is somebody’s fault).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Zimbabwe’s problems?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.