Mushrooms grow from coffee – level 2
A Belgian company uses coffee grounds to grow mushrooms and to make insulation tiles.
Every month, the company collects 5.5 tons of coffee grounds, which are usually waste. Workers mix the grounds with mushroom spores, and they put this mixture in small bags. The mushrooms take 15 days to grow.
After they collect the mushrooms, workers use the remains to make a material which could replace plastic. The company makes insulation tiles, and it hopes to make 13 tons of the material a month by 2025. It could help solve problem with too much waste.
Difficult words: coffee grounds (the remains after you make coffee), insulation (protection from heat, sound, electricity, and other things), spore (a very small part of a plant or mushroom from which a new plant or mushroom grows).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.