Muslims in Mecca – level 2
Millions of Muslims make the pilgrimage to Mecca every year. A pilgrimage is a religious journey, and every good Muslim should go to Mecca at least once in his or her life.
Muslims must wear cloth and circle around the Kaaba. They walk around it anticlockwise seven times while they pray.
The pilgrimage occurs in the twelfth month of the Islamic calendar. People expect that three million people will visit Mecca this year.
Difficult words: religious (relating to religion which is a belief in God), Kaaba (the most important place for Muslims), anticlockwise (in the opposite direction to the way in which the hands of a clock move round; to the left in a circle).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever gone on a pilgrimage?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.