Myanmar amnesty – level 1
Last week, mass amnesty happens in Myanmar. Amnesty is when officials let many people leave prison. These people are usually political prisoners.
People from other countries are some of the prisoners. One of them is Vicky Bowman. She is a British ambassador to Myanmar between 2002 and 2006. Myanmar’s military send her to prison for one year.
Another person in Sean Turnell. He is from Australia. He works with Myanmar’s former leader. The leader goes to prison for 26 years. Turnell goes to prison for 650 days.
On Thursday, both people leave prison. Many hope that Myanmar will release other prisoners, too.
Difficult words: mass (many people or things), ambassador (a person whose job is to work for a country in another country), release (to set free).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos