Naked Run Protest – level 3
Ferdinand Marcos, the former ruler of the Philippines, attracted condemnation from human rights groups about his rights violations and corruptions during his almost two-decade-long rule.
People will bury the former dictator at the Heroes’ Cemetery against which the members from the Philippine Alpha Phi Omega fraternity are protesting. They have staged a naked run, brandishing signs and covering their faces, but nothing else.
The run is actually an annual event, giving the fraternity the opportunity to highlight a cause close to their hearts. Coincidentally, the tradition itself started in the late 1970s when members of the same fraternity ran naked on the campus grounds in protest against the ban of a film criticising Marcos.
Difficult words: former (-ex), condemnation (a criticism), fraternity (a type of group of students), brandish (hold and wave about), annual (happening every year), coincidentally (by chance; interestingly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.