National Day of Catalonia – level 1
Catalonia is a region in Spain. Barcelona is its capitol. Many people celebrate the National Day of Catalonia.
Hundreds of thousands of people are in the streets of Barcelona. They show their support for Catalonia’s independence from Spain. They wave the Catalonian flag, the estelada.
Catalonia is planning a referendum on 1st October. People can choose if they want to stay with Spain, or be independent. Not all people want to leave Spain. Some people want to stay.
Difficult words: support (that you like something and want it to happen), independence (freedom), referendum (when people vote what they want).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos