Nazi Weather Station – level 3
Russian scientists have uncovered a Nazi weather station in the Arctic. They also found more than 500 items, including fragments of ammunition, pieces of clothing and meteorological equipment from the 1940s very well preserved in the harsh climate.
In 1943, there were 10 people working there, all producing important weather reports with German forces in battle. The information that they collected changed to the parts of Nazi cruisers and submarines. Because of the importance, the station had the codename of “Schatzgräber” meaning treasure hunter, but eventually it was ended the following summer.
After eating undercooked polar bear meat, most of the staff were stricken with a parasitic disease and later evacuated. The station was destroyed, and all that remains now are the abandoned remnants of a deadly time in our history.
Difficult words: fragment (a piece of something), codename (a secret name), parasitic (from a parasite – a tiny animal that can make you really sick), remnant (a part that is left after the greater part has been destroyed).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.