Needle in a haystack – level 2
An Italian artist tried to find a needle in a haystack. He doesn’t want to be called a “performance artist”, but he has a history of doing strange things in the name of art. For example, he spent 24 hours in a room with a cow.
The activity of finding the needle was, of course, part of an exhibition. It took place in Paris, and the artist looked for the needle for 48 hours. The president of the museum put the needle in the haystack.
This artist says that there is more to the activity than you might think. The activity tries to explore the relationship between words and actions. It also contrasts the large with the extremely small.
Difficult words: haystack (amount of hay which is dried grass), performance (when somebody does something), exhibition (an art show).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that it is art?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.