New Bridge – level 2
Two years ago, a bridge fell down in Genoa, Italy. It was a big tragedy that killed 43 people.
One year after the tragedy, workers started to demolish what remained of the bridge. It was necessary to make room for a new bridge. Workers worked throughout the day and night, and even the coronavirus did not stop them. The new bridge is 0.67 miles long, and it stands on 18 pillars. Workers used steel and concrete, and the architect said that the bridge can last 1,000 years.
The Italian Prime Minister was at the opening of the new bridge. He said that it was difficult to celebrate because many people still remembered the tragedy in 2018.
Difficult words: tragedy (an event that is bad and serious for many people), demolish (to destory, to get rid of something), pillar (a post that supports bridges and buildings), concrete (a grey material that people use to build houses and other buildings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.