New coronavirus variant – level 1
Scientists find a new coronavirus variant. It comes from South Africa.
This is bad news. The new variant is very different from the original virus. Medications stop the original virus. Scientists do not know if they stop the new virus, too. Scientists must learn quickly. Four countries have the new variant. These countries are Israel, Botswana, Hong Kong, and Belgium.
Some countries already ban travel from South Africa and five other African countries. The EU says that it is important to stop travel to South Africa. It can stop the new variant. Then it cannot get to Europe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.