New Mexico–USA Deal – level 2
On May 30, President Trump said that he would put tariffs on Mexico’s imports because he wanted Mexico to slow down the illegal immigration to the USA. Last week, the USA and Mexico made a deal, and Trump agreed not to start the tariffs.
As part of the deal, Mexico will increase its use of its National Guard by 6,000 men to stop illegal immigration. The USA will continue to work against illegal immigration at the border with Mexico, too.
In 90 days, the two countries will meet again to see if the deal is working well.
Difficult words: tariff (a tax on things which are sent to another country), import (things moved to a country from another country), National Guard (the army that protects a country and stays in that country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.