New Supersonic Plane – level 3
American company Boom revealed its new idea for a supersonic jet at the Dubai Airshow, which could mean that you could fly from London to New York in just over three hours by the end of 2023.
The Boom founder and CEO explained that the company is able to realise supersonic flight for 75 per cent less than Concord thanks to new technology and materials like carbon fibrecomposites and turbo fan engines. Thanks to these advancements, the cost of the flight ticket would never exceed a standard business class one, the company claims. In that case, aviation industry analyst Andre Charlton does not think that it is pie in the sky.
The CEO went on to say that supersonic passenger planes can come only from a newcomer, as the economic incentives of Boeing and Airbus iterate on the same product that they have been making for decades.
Difficult words: advancements (technological progress, improvements), carbon fibrecomposites (materials to make planes lightweight but strong), pie in the sky (something which is probably not going to happen), incentive (something which motivates somebody to do something), iterate (repeat).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.