New technologies in US power plants – level 2
The US government will soon require natural gas-fired power plants to catch carbon emissions. This will help the country decarbonize the power industry within 12 years.
This week, the Environmental Protection Agency will introduce new rules for power plants. Currently, they are responsible for about one-quarter of US greenhouse gas emissions. The rules will replace previous plans by Obama’s and Trump’s administrations. They will consider a plant’s capacity to reduce emissions.
Some companies may now choose to build new gas plants with modern technology or zero-emission renewable energy. It will be harder for them to compete with solar and wind power.
Difficult words: decarbonize (to reduce carbon dioxide emissions), greenhouse gas (a gas which makes the planet warmer), capacity (the ability to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What options are available to power plant companies that may not be able to afford modern technology or zero-emission renewable energy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos