New Type of Orangutan – level 3
Scientists announced that they discovered a new species of orangutan in Sumatra, describing a new great ape in almost a century.
The experts identified the species by examining the sounds that it makes and looking at its genes. There are only 800 specimens of the Tapanuli orangutan left in the wild, and the primates are in danger of going extinct because their habitat in Sumatra is under threat.
Difficult words: announce (officially say something), species (an animal kind), specimen (an individual animal), habitat (an animal’s natural home), under threat (in danger).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos