New Type of Swimwear – level 3
While dark skin in China is often associated with undesirable tanning caused from farming fields or doing manual labour, pale skin is seen as delicate and feminine and is highly prized.
An owner of a swimwear store reacted to customer demand and designed a ‘facekini’ to protect women from getting a tan, as well as to protect them from jellyfish stings. She made her original facekini in 2004 and the business has been developing ever since. In 2014 alone, she sold around 30,000 facekinis.
While the facekini has a very loyal following across the country, with the wearers being hailed as trend setters, the designer has faced in an undesirable effect of her garment – it scares small children. That is why she has stopped making white, grey, or dark-coloured facekinis and now makes facekinis with Peking opera designs which Chinese people like.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Will you get yourself a facekini?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.