New US President – level 3
On Saturday, Democrat Joe Biden emerged as the winner of a contentious battle for the White House.
The declaration came after a batch of mail-in votes in Pennsylvania expanded Biden’s lead and there was no chance of president Trump catching up. Major TV networks declared Biden the winner of the state which meant that he got enough points to win the election. Spontaneous celebrations started in city streets across the US; however, Trump’s supporters were in disbelief and they took to the streets to vent against Biden’s victory.
President Trump was not at the White House but out golfing when the election was called. He did not accept the defeat and he said that the election was not over. Trump repeatedly without evidence made claims of electoral fraud and his legal team is going to try to stop Biden from his victory.
Difficult words: mail-in vote (a vote that is sent by mail), vent (to release strong emotions), fraud (a crime when someone fakes something that is intended to result in financial or personal gain).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos