New Zealand tobacco ban – level 1
New Zealand’s government will make tobacco illegal for young people. The government says that young people will not smoke cigarettes at all.
The new law will start next year. It will be even stronger in the future. Supermarkets and small businesses will not sell cigarettes after 2027. Children under 14 years old will not be able to buy cigarettes. This is the second strongest cigarette law in the world.
Some experts are happy. Cigarettes are dangerous. It is good that young people will not smoke. They can choose less dangerous products.
Other experts do not like the new law. They say people will want cigarettes in the future. It is possible that people will buy and sell cigarettes illegally.
Difficult words: tobacco (a plant material of cigarettes), illegal (something that is against the rules of a country), law (a rule of a country), be able (to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos