Nigeria crisis – level 1
In Nigeria, prices go up a lot in August. Every year, the country looks at how much things cost. This is called inflation. And this time, it is really high at 25.8%. It is the highest number in 18 years.
President Bola Tinubu does some things in May which make prices go up. He stops giving extra money to people and companies for petrol. He changes the way how money works between countries. This means that food and transport cost more now. And people are very upset. This is the eighth month in a row that prices go up. The number is the highest since 2005.
Experts say that this happens because the money in Nigeria is more expensive. Some things, like fuel and food, cost more. The central bank is going to decide what to do with money on 26 September.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures has President Bola Tinubu taken to reduce the current high inflation rate in Nigeria?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.