Nigeria Protests – level 2
People in Nigeria protested against police brutality. The people’s anger increased after a recent incident when the military shot at protesters.
The protest took place on October 20th, and it was quite peaceful. Protesters shot videos of people sitting on the ground. They were singing and waving Nigerian flags. Then it was possible to hear some shooting in the background. Some videos showed soldiers, but the Nigerian army said that there were no soldiers at the place.
In the past three years, there have been more than 80 stories of police brutality. There was a special police unit called SARS, and it often used brutality to get information from people. Officials broke up SARS in early October, and they made a new police unit. A lot of people do not believe that this will stop police brutality.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.