Nora the Polar Bear – level 3
Columbus Zoo in Ohio, USA, released a video in a bid to find a young polar bear’s name. The clip shows the baby polar bear’s journey from a tiny seven-day-old infant to a fluffy pup at 3 months old.
The bear became an Internet sensation and the zoo received more than 88,000 votes from fans in 115 countries. The winning name was Nora, which is a name combined from those of both her parents – Nanook and Aurora.
People had to raise Nora by hand after her mother left her alone for prolonged periods of time when she was a newborn.
Difficult words: in a bid (trying), tiny (very small), infant (a baby), fluffy (very soft), prolonged (long).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you like polar bears?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos