Notes to God – level 1
The Western Wall is in Jerusalem, Israel. For Jewish people, the wall is the most important place in the world.
Every year, thousands of people come to the wall. They pray. Some people write prayers on a small piece of paper. They put this paper in the cracks of the wall. Most people pray for the unity of people of Israel. This year, even more people come than in the past.
Passover is the most important holiday for Jewish people. They remember the story of Israelites who leave Egypt in the past. On the evening of Passover, a team of men clear the notes from the wall. They use long sticks or only their hands. They then bury the notes on the Mount of Olives.
Difficult words: pray (to speak to a god), unity (being together), bury (to put underground).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the significance of notes being buried on the Mount of Olives?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos