Obesity and Coronavirus – level 1
Doctors say that the coronavirus is more serious for obese people. Obese people are very fat. Obesity makes COVID-19 more dangerous.
Researchers study 5,200 COVID-19 patients. The result of the study is very interesting. More than 30% of the patients are obese. These people end up in hospital more often.
For some people, the coronavirus is more dangerous. These are Black and Hispanic people. The reason is that many Black and Hispanic people are obese.
Obese people usually have other health problems, too. They often have diabetes or heart problems. It is more dangerous for them when they get sick from the coronavirus.
The coronavirus can hurt their lungs. Obese people have more fat around the lungs. The fat makes it more difficult to breathe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.