Octopuses in Hot Water – level 2
Experts discovered hundreds of octopuses near a deep-sea vent off the coast of Costa Rica. The female octopuses are nursing their eggs there.
This genus of octopuses are typically loners, so it was surprising to see them grouped together. Moreover, the hot rocks and water near the vent is not a good place for the eggs. An expert from a museum in Chicago does not believe that the baby octopuses can survive.
Scientists do not know why the mother octopuses laid their eggs near the vent.
Difficult words: vent (an opening from which hot water rises), nurse verb (take care of), genus (a family of animals which are similar).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos