Offensive Road Sign – level 2
In North London, someone put up an anti-Semitic road sign. It warned people about the presence of Jews near a synagogue. A Jewish community group spoke to the police about the sign.
A Jewish leader said that the sign upset people, and reminded them ‘of some of the darkest periods in recent Jewish history’.
Later, people found out that the sign was supposed to be provocative, but not anti-Semitic. It was part of an art project by a French artist. He placed 27 signs showing similar figures around London. The artist apologised and said that he thought that his signs had no ‘bad meanings’.
Difficult words: Semitic (relating to the Jewish religion), presence (being present – being somewhere), period (a time in history).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos